We’ve posted helpful information for fitting, sewing and finishing your Fit for Art garments here on our website. Follow the links to Jacket Help or Pants Help for tips specific to those patterns, such as extra fitting info.
Click on the links below for more general sewing tips:
- Seam Finishes for written directions on how to finish seams for an unlined jacket or for pants.
- Sewing Resources for our recommendations for books and other publications to help you improve your sewing or to find answers to other questions.
- Resources specifically for Rain or Shine Variations, including sources for zippers and technical fabrics.
- Choosing an Interfacing is your guide to choosing the right interfacing for your project.
- Rae’s Hand Hemming Stitch provides illustrated instructions to Rae’s favorite hand hemming stitch.
- Sarah’s Tips for Sewing, Tapering and Pressing a Dart with instructions for making smooth and beautiful darts.
- Spend some time with the Strategic Sewing and Fitting Questionnaire if you are planning your wardrobe sewing.
- Watch the videos of Rae’s appearances on Creative Living in which she talks with Sheryl Borden about Seam Finishes and NEW Zipper Choices and Applications.
Rae’s newest teaching videos are now available from BurdaStyle Academy. Each is a multi-video series on tailoring and restyling your favorite garments. Get more info and purchase the classes here:
- Get a Better Fit: Tailoring & Styling for Tops, Dresses, Special Occasion & Vintage
- Get a Better Fit: Tailoring & Styling for Pants, Skirts, Jackets & Coats
Craft Daily Video lessons
Our very own Rae Cumbie is the featured teacher in a series of sewing videos produced by Craft Daily. So far four lessons are available at Craft Daily and more are on the way. Read more about the videos at these links:
- Openings & Closings: A Basic Tutorial
- Perfecting Your Pants Part 1: Modify a Pant Pattern to Suit your Body
- Perfecting Your Pants Part 2: Zippers, Pockets and More!
- Perfecting Your Pants Part 3: Leg Shapes to Suit Your Needs