Here are the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions. There is also a wealth of information about our patterns available on the Helpful Hints pages. If you don’t find the answer to your question here or elsewhere on the site, we welcome you to contact us directly!
About the Patterns
In what format can I purchase your patterns?
Our paper patterns are printed on tissue, just like commercial patterns. We want you to be able to get right to work without having to trace it off; just cut out your size and get going! Each pattern comes with a thorough instruction book that includes fabrication, design and fitting information in addition to construction directions. Fit for Art has begun to sell digital patterns; new patterns will be released in both digital and print format and older patterns are gradually being converted to digital format. Please see our Digital Pattern FAQs and shop for Digital Patterns. We also offer several small sewing projects as PDFs to download for free.
How do I choose what size pattern to buy?
All of our patterns are multi-size patterns. The core jacket, knit top, and dress patterns and their variations include XS-3XL. The core pants pattern and its detail add-on patterns are in sizes XXS-3XL.
How do I select what size to make?
We created our sizing system based on years of experience fitting women’s bodies. Refer to the size chart on the back of each core pattern to compare your measurements to the body measurements listed for each size. You can also assess the ease by comparing the finished garment measurements on the back of the pattern or on the printed patterns to measurements of garments you feel comfortable in.
All of our core patterns include fitting options to help you get a better fit from the get-go. Be sure to read the first section of the instruction book, which includes helpful information about selecting the appropriate size and fitting options for your body and preferences. Because we offer a full bust front and a flared side panel in the jacket, knit top, and dress, some women find that they wear a size smaller in our patterns than they expect to. For the Eureka! Pants pattern, the size chart on the last page of the direction booklet will help you choose the overall size (XXS-3XL) and derriere shape (Back 1, 2 or 3) to use for your mock-up.
We believe that all women are more than the numbers and letters that define their pattern sizes. Choose a good fit, not a number or letter.
Do Fit for Art’s patterns include a seam allowance?
Yes, all of Fit for Art’s patterns are drafted with a 5/8″ seam allowance, unless otherwise specified. There are a very few instances of a different seam allowance indicated in variations for the Tabula Rasa Knit Tee & Tunic.
Where can I find help with fitting the Tabula Rasa Jacket or knit top?
We provide links to several fitting resources on the Helpful Hints pages for each pattern series. In particular, you will find links to our illustrated downloadable guides Common Fitting Adjustments for the Tabula Rasa Jacket and Common Fitting Adjustments for Tabula Rasa Knits. These documents will help you assess your mock-up and make the necessary pattern adjustments for an improved fit. There are also links to several videos in which we demonstrate step-by-step the process of making the most common pattern adjustments.
We do provide a complimentary fitting service for the Tabula Rasa Jacket in our booth at retail sewing shows. We also offer sewing retreats a few times a year where you can get more intensive personalized help with fitting Fit for Art patterns. Check our calendar of events for dates and locations of upcoming shows, retreats and other events.
Where can I find more help fitting the Eureka! Pants pattern?
If you have not found the answer to your fitting question in the instruction book, you will find several resources on the Pants Help page, including links to Eureka! Pants fitting videos, relevant sewing techniques and Rae’s online courses.
We teach introductory pant fitting classes at some retail sewing shows, where we also offer a pant-fitting service for a fee in our booth. At times, we host our own pants-fitting workshops and sewing retreats, where you can get more intensive personalized help with fitting Eureka! Pants. Occasionally, a local sewing organization or store hosts a pants-fitting workshop. Check our calendar of events for dates and locations of upcoming shows, retreats and other events.
Another option is to seek out one of our Eureka! Pants Professionals who are scattered across the U.S. These sewing professionals have completed a licensing course to use our pants patterns for fitting private clients and teaching classes. See a list of licensed Eureka! Pants Professionals to find one near you.
Our colleague Sarah Veblen, who developed the Eureka! Pants pattern with us, also offers an online pants-fitting class at Patternreview.com and individual consulting assistance through Sarah Veblen Clothing Originals.
What are digital patterns?
Fit for Art is excited to bring you digital patterns that you can print at home, online or at a local shop. We plan to offer a download option for the entire line of Fit for Art Patterns, adding them gradually over time. Some of our patterns will be available as downloads only, such as the first four Tabula Rasa Jacket Variations. Others, including the core patterns, will continue to be available to purchase as a paper copy or as a download.
Our downloadable PDF patterns include several great features!
- You may download the files up to 3 times by logging into your account on fitforartpatterns.com or by clicking on a pattern link in your purchase confirmation email. Please store your downloaded files in a safe place on your computer that you can find again!
- Every pattern includes all sizes, with a different color and line graphic for each size.
- The patterns are layered to allow you to print only the sizes you want to use. Always turn on the “For All Sizes” layer which contains the elements needed for every size.
How do I download a pattern after I purchase it?
If you are purchasing a digital pattern, be sure to create an account at checkout so you will have easy access to the patterns later. After you complete your purchase, check your inbox for a receipt or confirmation email. In the email will be links to the files in each digital pattern. Click on each file to download it, and then save it in a safe place. If you want to download the patterns later, log into your account (find the My Account button on the home page, upper right corner) and select “Downloads.”
If you purchased a digital pattern without an account, you may download your pattern again (for a total of 3 times) by clicking on the links in your confirmation email.
What is included in a digital pattern purchase?
You will receive two files to download:
- A zip file (compressed folder) containing:
- The patterns in 3 printing formats for you to choose the most convenient, including:
- a large format designed for typical US large format printers,
- an A0 format designed for large international printers, and
- a tiled format for home printing on letter or A4 size paper.
- Directions for choosing layers, printing your pattern in each format, and for assembling the tiled version are included with each pattern. Please follow those tile assembly directions as written! It’s been our experience that taking shortcuts leads to inaccurate patterns.
- The patterns in 3 printing formats for you to choose the most convenient, including:
- Our illustrated instruction book for constructing the pattern, which includes additional information such as design and fabric considerations, sewing tips, and links to relevant blog posts and photo gallery samples.
What is a zip file?
Now when you purchase a Fit for Art Patterns digital pattern, the pattern is available to download via a zip file. A zip file is a compressed file or folder of files that takes up less storage space and can be transferred to other computers more quickly than uncompressed files. To unzip or extract the files in the zipped file, follow these instructions:
If you have any trouble with our zip files, or if you purchased a digital pattern before we migrated to zip files and are having problems re-downloading your pattern, please contact us.
Where do you print the large format and A0 patterns?
- Several national chain print shops in the U.S. have large format printers, such as FedEx, Office Depot or Staples. Copy the pattern onto a USB stick to take to the shop. With any luck, an employee can help you select the appropriate layers and print your pattern.
- You may be able to find a local independent shop that prints blueprints or similar large format items for local architects.
- Online printing companies will print and ship the pattern to your door. You will have to upload the file you want printed to their website. Not all online print companies allow you to limit your printing to chosen layers, but you will be able to easily tell the sizes apart with our new graphics! Here are some U.S. online print options:
- sublimegrafx.com (Print in color or black and white for the same price. This company also offers choice of three papers to print on – tissue, typical copy shop paper, or tracing paper, which is in between in weight and transparency. The white tissue is a great option if you want to be able to just cut it out without tracing!)
- Many thanks to our colleagues at Cashmerette who have researched international online print options which you can find on the Cashmerette blog. (Fit for Art has not tested any of these international sources.)
- An additional online source in Canada is SewYYC, with which FFA customers have reported satisfaction.
Whichever format you print, we also recommend that you trace the pattern from the opaque printer paper onto a flexible semi-transparent material, such as tissue paper or “Swedish paper”, to use for cutting the fabric. You can purchase rolls of paper for tracing and pattern adjustments from Fit for Art.
Due to the nature of digital downloads, all sales are final and we cannot accept returns. If you have any questions about the patterns or the download process, email us at email@example.com.
Payment and Shipping
What payment options do you accept?
We accept most credit cards and PayPal in our online store. Please contact us if you would prefer to mail a check.
What shippers do you use?
We ship via the U.S. Postal Service, offering first class and priority mail shipping options. If you want to be able to track your package, choose the priority mail option. You have the chance to calculate and select your shipping method during checkout.
Do you ship internationally?
Yes, we are happy to ship our patterns internationally. We ship via the U.S. Postal Service, offering first class and priority mail shipping options. You have the opportunity to calculate and select your shipping method during checkout. We are able to track the package through the U.S. customs form.
Can I buy Fit for Art patterns in a local store?
There are several retail stores in the U.S. that offer our patterns. You can find a list of our retail partners here. If you don’t find a store in your geographic area on this list, we welcome your suggestions for and inquiries from sewing retailers.
Returns and Cancellations
Can I return or exchange items in my order?
For products, we offer returns or exchanges within 30 days of purchase. You can return your product for store credit or a different product. We do not offer refunds. Read the full Return Policy here.
What is the event cancellation policy?
Deposits are non-refundable if the registrant cancels. The deposit may, however, be credited towards a future event if a cancellation notice is received in writing at least 30 days prior to the first day of the event. Cancellations received less than 30 days prior to the event and no-shows are non-refundable.
If the event is cancelled due to circumstances beyond the control of Fit for Art Patterns, such as the host facility being closed, a pandemic or other “acts of God,” we will offer the attendee the option to credit the full amount of the deposit toward a future Fit For Art event or to receive a refund of the amount of the deposit less a 10% service fee. Read the full Event Cancellation Policy here.