- This event has passed.
Sew! Let’s Get Dressed Retreat
August 22, 2016 - August 27, 2016
Join Rae Cumbie and Carrie Emerson of Fit for Art Patterns for 2 to 6 days of sewing and designing fun.
August 22 – 27, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.*
Rae and Carrie will be available all day long to provide individualized help on your sewing projects. This may include assistance with:
• Fitting Fit for Art’s patterns beginning from our fit samples or from the mock-up or garment you bring with you.
• Making pattern adjustments for fit.
• Modifying a Fit for Art jacket, knit or pants pattern for Variations or Details.
• Planning a coordinated travel or everyday wardrobe.
• Working with fabric in your stash, such as developing a mixed fiber garment.
• Planning and making a more complex wearable art garment.
• Testing Fit for Art patterns in early development stages.
• Trying a project featured in a Sew! Let’s Get Dressed blog post.
• Or whatever sewing project you are dreaming about!
Fee $80 per day; you choose which 2 to 6 days you’ll attend.
Fee includes lunch, snacks and beverages, and a sewing table for each participant (which can be left set up day-to-day). We will also provide for use by all participants: cutting tables, ironing stations, serger, coverstitch machine, pattern paper, pattern drafting tools, and the Tabula Rasa Jacket and Eureka! Pants that Fit fitting shells. Bring your own sewing machine, basic sewing and cutting tools, thread and fabric.
Each day will include a lunchtime lecture or trunk show. We will arrange field trips to A Fabric Place (Baltimore) on Monday or Thursday evening and to Mekong River Textiles (Silver Spring) on Tuesday or Friday, if desired by participants.
Print your registration form to mail in with $80 deposit, or contact us to request a form by mail. Questions? Send us an email at email@example.com or call 410-377-0706 (Rae) or 410-207-6923 (Carrie).
* Rae and Carrie will be available from 9 to 5, but you are welcome to stay and work as late as you’d like!
Hotel: We have made arrangements with the Holiday Inn Express, 11200 York Rd., in Hunt Valley, MD to offer a reduced rate room for the duration of the retreat (8/21-27/16). The rate for a room with 2 double beds is $79 plus tax per night. You can place a reservation by calling the hotel directly at 410-527-1500, by calling central reservations at 800-HOLIDAY, or online at this link for FitforArtPatterns. You will need to identify the group name (Fit for Art patterns) and code (FAP) and dates to make your reservation. This rate is available until 7/27/16, so make your reservation now! The Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley is approximately 10 miles from Woodbrook Baptist Church and it takes approximately 20 minutes to travel between them. A closer alternative is the Sheraton in Towson, which is directly across the street from Towson Town Center and offers a shuttle within a 5 mile radius; unfortunately we were not able to obtain a reduced rate for this hotel.